Sunday, September 09, 2007

Realization

The moment I returned to the headhunting business after a successful stint in onsite recruiting at a bank, I realized that the headhunting business just isn't, well...me.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I realize now that the root of all my troubles wasn't really about the crazy people I worked in the past 2 companies, nor was it about bad management. The real problem is myself.

You see, the main reason why I decided to get into headhunting was to make enough money to support me and Akane. That very same reason is also why I'm not fit to be a headhunter in the first place. The key phrase here is "to make enough money". When considering a career in executive search recruitment, in order to be successful, you can't be thinking about making just enough money. To be a successful headhunter, one has to continually push themselves in order to make money, therefore, such thoughts are not only meaningless, they are also anti-productive.

Let's imagine that a chef who has created a masterpiece of a dish. Can that chef truly be successful if he says to himself "This dish is great, I don't need to create another one for a while." Or how about a certain wide receiver who admits to "taking plays off every now then when running routes?" In those two instances, they won't be successful. Randy Moss has seen successful years while in Minnesota, but overall, Marvin Harrison has achieved much more through his consistency.

For the headhunter, if you stop yourself short and if money is not the most important goal in life, the odds are stacked against you. That's where I find myself now. I've discovered that, to me, money is not everything. Happiness is my ideal version of success. I don't need 200 grand usd per year. If I make 100 grand we'll be fine.

When I worked in the bank for the past few months, I was extremely happy. Akane saw it too. Everything was good again. And then I it was over and I find myself back to headhunting again. Things are bad again.

So it's settled. I'm looking to settle in the finance industry and hope to leave the headhunting business for good. Happiness is not worth sacrificing for the sake of money. Though I say that I haven't been happy doing headhunting, I don't regret anything.

If it weren't for the first headhunting company, I wouldn't have been able to make some truly great friends who will support me through thick and thin.

If it weren't for the second headhunting company, I wouldn't have been able to learn about financial markets and would never have known how interesting that field really is.

If it weren't for my current employer, I never would've had the chance to work at a bank with some truly remarkable people and most importantly, realize what it is exactly that I want to do for a career. If I can just somehow get hired by a bank, I will be extremely satisfied.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?