Thursday, February 15, 2007

In the face of so-called insurmountable odds...

Before I begin this mini-rant, for those of you who work with me and are reading this, believe me, it's nothing personal.

I've come to realize that the negativity that goes around in the office has really taken its toll on mostly everyone, and up until recently, it really affected me. It just seems like most people are jaded in one form or another, and after hearing their plights I know that they all have justifiable reasons to be disgruntled.

Now, it's one thing to be disgruntled when ALL options have been exhausted and there's still no solution in sight. It's a completely different matter when people tell me that no matter what I do, I won't be able to find the solution at the current place, without even trying. THAT, my friends, is giving up before doing anything.

I almost did that. I came about thisclose from giving up and throwing in the towel and basically just running away from my problems. But, people are better than that!

After calmly assessing my situation, I realized that I really haven't done anything. Sure, my rank has been "lowered" to assistant-like status, but I hadn't even begun to take matters into my own hands to improve on this.

After a short conversation with my boss, I put forth my convictions and threw away my fear of retribution. I told him flatly and directly that I really want to take measures to achieve the next step in my professional career and do whatever it takes to get there.

A funny thing happened after that. I fully expected him to refuse my proposal, since my colleagues gave me the sense that he would do that. Instead, he's giving me the chance to do it now and gave me the answer I really wanted.

Whoever is reading, don't ever let anyone talk you out of trying. I know my colleagues were just trying to help by keeping my expectations at a realistic level, but they've also unintentionally tried to make a coward out of me. "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can GET hit, and keep moving forward." So remember folks, before you throw in the towel and give up on something, you owe it to yourself to at least try. If you go down, at least go down swinging so you'll never regret it!

Comments:
It reminds me of the expression, that which does not kill you can only make you stronger. Keep giving the good fight!
 
Thanks man! The worst that can happen is, I just move on to a different place and learn from this experience.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?