Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Random rant...

Ever watch those movies where everyone says it's a great movie, only you don't really find it all that interesting? This happened to me the other night. I started watching "Lovers" (sequel to "Hero"?) the other night and within like the first 15 minutes, I had to change the channel. I don't know, it's a little strange, but I thought it was more boring that what it was supposed to be. Now don't get me wrong, the visuals were great, the cinematography was beautiful, Andy Lau, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Zhang Ziyi; what could go wrong? Well, maybe it's my personality, but I actually thought that the visuals and cinematography were done too beautifully. It was like looking at a fine art piece, just absolutely gorgeous, but the pacing of the story was what killed it for me. I watched "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" before and I thought that movie was almost great. Almost. The one part that bumped it down to a good movie as opposed to a great movie was the scene where Chow Yun Fat and Zhang Ziyi had that duel in the forest. Again, it was like watching a piece of fine art, but that killed the pace and tension of the story there. "Dances with Wolves" is the perfect example of a promising movie that got killed from overdoing the scenery factor (not to mention that the movie was like 3.5 hours long!) Anyways, I'm all for artistic impression, but if it gets in the way of pacing things, I just can't seem to get interested in it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?