Tuesday, November 01, 2005

My life...as an Everquest character?

Yeah, I've played Everquest before and thankfully I didn't fall victim to it's addiction too badly. I pretty much played maybe 2 hours every night until I got bored with its tediousness and realized that I needed to go out with real humans. Well, my current plight actually reminds me of the days when I started out a new character in Everquest. First off, what happens to newbies? We all start out broke. That's pretty much where I'm at right now. Thanks to having to pay 38000 yen (about $380) in back taxes owed to the Japanese government as well as buying a roundtrip ticket to Tokyo (bullet train, about $270), I am now left with trying to survive 9 days on 10000 yen ($100). In Boston, I could definitely make that stretch without a problem. In Osaka however, consider this: It costs me 800 yen (8 bucks) to go to the high school and back. I do this 3 days a week. It costs me 1640 yen ($16.40) to go to the elementary school and back. Add an extra MANDATORY school lunch fee (policy forces me to eat with the kids) at 220 yen ($2.20). I do this 2 days a week. Now after adding all of that together, I get 5680 yen in transportation costs for one week. Now, that would set me back a little more than 50% of what I have left. 9 days until pay day. So, how does this all relate to Everquest? Easy!

-You have foraged successfully!
-You have foraged successfully!
-You have foraged successfully!
-You have foraged successfully!
-(Your skills in foraging have improved!)

Luckily, I don't have to do this though:

-You failed in begging
-You failed in begging
-You failed in begging

Guard: You are an affront to all I stand for!
Guard hits Jason for 287 points of damage!
You have been slain!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?